Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3rd Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus. Hyperion Books, 2009. Genre: Autobiography.

Miles to Go is a book, written by herself, all about Miley Cyrus's life up to this point. It focuses on the time period from just before she earns her spot on the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana until when she published this book. There isn't really an antagonist or protagonist throughout the entire story but there are mini conflicts such as Miley being bullied in sixth grade, her gaining the role of Hannah Montana and more! The book deals with the struggles she went through and how much her life has changed throughout the past few years.
"I want to plant a mile marker here- at this particular bend in the road- before it starts to fade as I keep moving forward," it says on the back of the book. The story is all about how Miley progresses forward and learns from her experiences. She battles bulling, finding true love, her family, and losing loved ones. In the end, she reflects on how all of this has made her the person that she is today.
As I was reading this book I found it very different from any other book I have read. It is clear that Miley finds a way to connect with her audience and not just state facts about her lifestyle. What is unique about this book is that throughout it all there are little notes in the margin that are meant to look like Miley wrote them. Also, there are lists, "7 things...", which are just fun little facts about her. The book talks about how her life has changed while also throwing in some fun little facts about her that you would never have known like she wants to read the entire Bible!
"If there's one message I have for my fans, it's that you can make your dreams real, but you have to enjoy just being. Make the best of the life you have every day. I can't wait to see what's int he days ahead, but I also don't want to fill them up too fast," (275) represents how Miley really tries to connect to her readers and give a good message. Throughout the book there are quotes similar to this that are meant to be positive and just overall make the reader happy about who they are!
I usually don't enjoy reading autobiographies but this was enjoyable. I would only recommend it to people who are fans of Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana. It isn't hard to read or follow in any way so it was just something I read throughout my free time. It was interesting to hear Miley's thoughts about her life and I actually learned interesting things about her including constantly donating to charities which I thought was nice to hear. Her book made me think about some things in a new way and appreciate my life, like she said, "Make the best of the life you have every day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment